Work permit in Bangladesh
Work permit is mandatory for every foreign national seeking employment in Bangladesh. Three government authorities issue work permit in Bangladesh.
- For private sector industrial enterprise, branch office and liaison office, outside of Export Processing Zone (EPZ) – Bangladesh Investment Development Authority (BIDA).
- For employment of foreign national in the EPZ– Bangladesh Export Processing Zones Authority (BEPZA).
- For employment of foreign national in any NGO – NGO Affairs Bureau.
WORK PERMIT ISSUED BY BIDA
Private sector industrial enterprises, branch office, liaison/representative office desiring to employ foreign nationals are required to apply to BIDA in their prescribed from. While issuing work permit, BIDA usually follows the following guidelines:
- Only nationals of countries recognized by Bangladesh are considered for employment.
- Employment of expatriate personnel is considered only in industrial/commercial establishments which are sanctioned/registered by the appropriate authority.
- Employment of foreign nationals is normally considered for the job for which local experts/technicians are not available.
- Persons below 18 years of age are not eligible for employment.
- A decision of the board of directors of the concerned company for new employment/employment extension is to be furnished in each case.
- The number of foreign employees should not exceed 5% in the industrial sector and 20% in commercial sector of the total employees, including top management personnel.
- Initially, employment of any foreign national is considered for a term of one year, which may be extended on the basis of merit of the case.
- Security clearance will be required from Ministry of Home Affairs.
PROCESS OF ISSUING WORK PERMIT BY BIDA:
FIRST STEP: PUBLICATION OF NEWSPAPER ADVERTISEMENT.
The employer is required to publish a newspaper advertisement or online advertisement for the recruitment. This requirement is not always mandatory.
SECOND STEP: APPLICATION FOR ISSUANCE OF E VISA RECOMMENDATION.
Local sponsor (Liaison/Branch Office or local company) will apply to BIDA through online for issuance of E visa recommendation in favor of the desired foreign national. The following documents are usually required for this application:
- Copy of permission letter for branch/liaison/representative office or Memorandum of articles of association and certificate of incorporation in case of locally incorporated company.
- Board Resolution for employment of foreign nation(s) mentioning Expatriate Name, Nationality & Passport Number.
- Photograph of the Expatriate.
- Copy of passport of the Expatriate/Investor/Employee (Whole of the used part).
- Appointment Letter/transfer order/service contract or agreement for expatriate/investors.
- Certificate of all academic qualification & professional experience for the employees.
- Paper clipping showing advertisement made for recruitment of local personal prior to appointment of the expatriate(s).
- Specific activities of the company.
- Statement of manpower showing list of local and expatriate personal employed with designation, salary break-up, nationality and date of first appointment. (Latest Copy).
- Encashment certificate of inward remittance of minimum US $50,000.00 as initial establishment cost for branch/liaison/representative office and locally incorporated/ joint venture and 100% foreign ownership companies.
- Up-to-date Income tax clearance certificate (Organization).
- Attachment of company’s comments as per remarks (if any)
NB: All documents shall have to be attested by the Chairman/ CEO / Managing director/ Country Manager/ Chief executive of the Company/ firms.
THIRD STEP: APPLICATION FOR E VISA IN THE RESPECTIVE BANGLADESH EMBASSY OR HIGH COMMISSION
Once BIDA issue the E visa recommendation, the foreign national should apply for E visa in the respective Bangladesh Embassy or High Commission. Once the E visa is issued, the foreign national should enter Bangladesh with the E visa.
FORTH STEP: APPLICATION FOR WORK PERMIT IN BANGLADESH.
Within 15 days from the date of arrival of the foreign national, application for work permit should be submitted to BIDA. A fee of BDT 5,000 is applicable in this regard.
The following papers/documents are required for new work permit:
- All documents stated in second step.
- Attested photocopy of passport with arrival stamp ‘E’ type visa for employee.
FIFTH STEP: SECURITY CLEARANCE.
Once work permit is issued by BIDA, a copy of the work permit would then sent a letter to Ministry of Home Affairs for security clearance by BIDA. After some scrutiny, security clearance will be issued.
A. Who are eligible to apply
The eligible person of this category of visa are:
- a. An Expert/adviser/employee/individual who appointed in a government/ semi-government/ autonomous bodies/ projects and equivalent organization in Bangladesh
- b. An Individual who employed in local/foreign government/semi-government/liaison/industrial/commercial organization or other equivalent organizations in Bangladesh
- c. Individuals appointed under local/foreign government/ semi-government contractor ship and in equivalent organization in Bangladesh
- d. An Individual who intend to do honorary work (without salary) with Registered NGOs in Bangladesh.
B. Duration of work permit/employment visa
A work permit/employment visa may be issued for maximum three (03) months with single, double or multiple entries. Duration of stay in this category is maximum 90 days in each visit.
C. Extension of visa
Extension up to three (03) years could be obtained from Department of Immigration and Passport (DIP)in Bangladesh.
Please note that the validity of the visa begins from the date of issue and not from the date of travel on your application form.
PI is applicable for investors whose name is on the shareholders list. The process of PI visa and work permit is almost similar to E visa and work permit.
If you need professional help with work permit, please email [email protected]